Recently I've felt this need for a challenge. A need for change. The bike race was one of the challenges I presented myself with. But it was temporary. I rearranged our bedroom. Change. I tried clipless pedals. Challenge. Dyed my hair for the first time ever. Change. In a way it would be nice if something would take, if I could finally feel placated, if I could stop feeling the constant need for something. What is it that I'm looking for? (And dont say babies!)
In any case, the challenges & changes continue. On Saturday I applied for a Neurotrauma ICU position at work. Of course I dont know if it will happen, I dont know if Im really a good enough nurse to hack it. But I wont know if I dont try. And yesterday, Scott & I went to Northstar and battled some serious downhill trails.
Sticks and Stones! Double black diamond run!
(Note: I basically have football pads on, I know I look like a man with a blonde ponytail. Its an unfortunate necessity for learning. So flattering.)
My favorite track was called Sticks and Stones. It was the hardest for me, not because of the rocks you have to smash through (although that can be super challenging), but because there's a ladder with a turn and a drop. Break it down: You ride your bike along a ladder made from wood. It's about 2 feet wide, rises over a fallen tree, and then drops about 10 steep feet. There's about a foot gap at the end. Challenge. I looked at that thing for 10 minutes. I thought about doing it, back and forth in my mind, images of broken wrists or worse floating through my imagination. In the end I did it. Scott got a very out of proportion, goofy picture of me on the top section. Scary part, unfortunately, not pictured.
(Distortion is because Scott was using a Go Pro camera, that was supposed to be filming, but he didnt know how to use it. His bike skills are absolutely exceptional. His cameraman skills may leave a bit to be desired...)
In the end, Sticks and Stones did not break my bones. Thank goodness. I rode the feature, survived the gap at the end, and actually felt really proud. Challenge accomplished. So I feel satisfied... for the moment.
As for the new job, I'll probably get a feeling of where I stand sometime this week. That would be a challenge far scarier than Sticks and Stones.
No comments:
Post a Comment