Thursday, July 14, 2011

Evolution

I believe in evolution. In all ways, actually, but now is not the time for that.

Any new endeavor takes learning, goes through a process, and has the chance to evolve in to something. My dad started doodling in school (instead of listening), designed the cover of his senior year book, got paid for a couple little drawing gigs, and became an artist by profession. Evolution. My mother decided to renovate the house, tore off some wallpaper, realized renovation is hard work, and took to picking out paint samples and carpet color while my dad slaved away for weeks on end making the new house come to be. Evolution.

And my coming into being a mountain biker, and a wife, has been evolution. Both are still very much in the process, of course. Kind of like the platypus... Duck or beaver? Evolution can be slow, but here in pictures, is mine:

 JEEZ. Can you say beginner? Do you see how high that seatpost is on that borrowed bike? Sweet spandex...



 My first bike of my own. Scott bought me a Specialized Sirrus (road bike) for Valentine's Day in 2008. I had hurt my knee trail running, and was going crazy. Two things come to mind when I see this picture. 1) I'm surprised he didn't propose then, it would be hard to get me on a bike in that dress now, and 2) he obviously didnt feel I was ready for mountain biking. Those knees were scar free!

My first ride on MY first mountain bike. A 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp that I scored a deal on because the manufacturer put a small dent in the frame during shipping. Sweet! Also sweet? Me riding in flat New Balance shoes... I look terrified.

 This is better! Look who's on a big girl trail! I spy some rocks! I spy knee pads and MTB shorts! ...I also see some very straight arms and legs. I am ready to let that baby fly away from me the second I come across a section of trail I don't like. (But hey, thats my pretty city back there, isn't California nice?)

  In 2009 I got my first downhill bike. A Specialized Demo 8. This is me in Whistler that August. A steep, flat trail for beginners, yes. But a place to fall in love with the sport for real, also yes.

 Okay, a little Chico rock droppage. Not too shabby! Love those downhill descents! No fear! Looking good! Fine, looking terrified. But Im DOING it.


 Mendocino forest, exploring, knees and elbows bent. By gosh, I think she's getting it.

All RIGHT, taking the mountain biking international this year in New Zealand. A nice little log ride there, where I definitely am wouldn't be thinking if this goes wrong, I'll kill my husband I swear to God. This picture is actually from our honeymoon, which brings me to the last for now: 

Not have bikes at our wedding? Do fish need water? But I wouldn't have had it any other way. Best day of my life, hands down. Scott, friends, family, beer, dancing, and... mountain bikes.
 

2 comments: