Thursday, July 14, 2011

Here we go.....!

Its been forever since I had a blog. Do you remember livejournal.com? Does that still exist? We all had one, to bitch about people using fake names, to insinuate crushes on people using fake names, to play pranks on friends using fake names... yeah I was real mature at 13. But really, how is a blog different from livejournal? I mean, I intend to filter myself (a little). And I assume a rant from a 26 year old has more substance than that of a teenager (...maybe). I mean, we're all adults here, right? Blogging isn't just a way for everyone to bitch about their jobs, their in-laws, and their weight gain, right? Oh fuck it, here we go....!

I'm starting the blog of a bike wife. You heard me. I've been married 9 months, so I am a wife. I've been riding mountain bikes for 3 years, so I'm a mountain biker (or so my husband says). So you put the two together: Bike Wife.


I googled "bike wife", looking for someone like me. I wanted to know if someone's already writing this blog, then maybe I could achieve one follower. Anyway, I found lots of message board postings of "how do I get my wife to ride" (I'll get to that later), and "My wife needs a beginner bike", and under google's image search, I got mostly naked chicks sprawled on motorcycles. So there's no one out there like me. Good to know.


Promise #1: I won't lie. (Well, thats all the promises I can come up with for now)


In the spirit of promise #1, here's the background, condensed:


I am 26 years old. I'm not a girly girl, but I'm not a tomboy. I've always had more guy friends than gals, but I absolutely cherish my few girl friends. I grew up swimming, playing piano, and being a real class-A nerd in school. I barely ever rode a bike. I went to college, graduated nursing school, and also became a class-A drunk (a requirement in nursing school, or else one may consider suicide). I didn't ride my bike the 5 blocks to college because I felt like a dork. Currently I am a surgical nurse who loves travel, reading, gardening, and adventures. 
So I met a boy while I was working at a sporting goods store, and he had a killer smile. I kissed him on my 21st birthday, but I didn't remember it because I was blacked out. I married the boy a little over 4 years later.
Scott happens to be a professional downhill mountain biker. To get a feeling of downhill racing, educate here:


 Okay, you get the picture. So since this is what he DOES, this is who he IS, this is what he LOVES, BREATHES, and seriously thinks about more than sex... I decided to start. 3 years ago I bought my first mountain bike. It did not go well. I cried like a baby on my first few 20 rides. I skinned my knees a million times. I threw my bike down a hill. Half way up a steep climb I've thought to myself, this is my last ride EVER. But it never was, because the good part is too good. The downhill.
Today I have an XC mountain bike, a DH bike, a town bike, and a road bike. I have done ONE race, but been to at least 40 of Scott's. He rides every day. I ride at least every week. His is a passion that I can only be jealous of. Mine is hobby that I really like, but I dont live it (yet). Here's the not lying part: I started doing it for him. And now? Some days I ride for him. And others, for me. This blog is about the journey of my last 3 years doing this so unladylike sport, and the journey as it continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment