Monday, August 1, 2011

Girls who ride...

...are hard to find. Kinda like superhot non D-bags.

That being said, I've found a couple of gals to ride with over the years. There's two general types.

A) I'm a girl who started riding because I'm athletic, I like adventure, I saw the boys doing it, and said I can do that too. I take life by the horns, and I show it who's boss. I'm fast, I'm fit, and I dont need lessons because I was born with skillz.

B) My boyfriend rides.

By the way, I fall in category 2, and I'm not making fun of it. I got into bikes because of the hubs; but that doesn't mean I haven't gained some affection for it on my own.

So two of my lady friends (one type A, one type B) and I decided Saturday would be ladies DH day. I had taken one of them out before, the other was in for a treat. We go to this place out in the middle of nowhere, CA. Its sorta between Lassen and Trinity and Shasta... Anyways, its amazing, so here's a photo that does it no justice:



Actually that kind of makes it look like a wasteland. Moving on...

Here's us girls between runs. My bikes are pictured. I think all 5 of us are quite pretty :)


We had a really fun day. I felt like everyone got to learn something new. I got to work on my speed and jumps, while another girl got comfortable with the steep loose stuff. Its easy to see why dudes are the primary sex in DH bike riding, but we were out to prove there's definitely some chicks on the scene! 


All this time at Northstar and out in the hills on my DH bike have gotten me really excited for our upcoming travels. We're taking 2 weeks off work, racing bikes in Oregon, riding in Washington, and landing in Disneyland Whistler on next Wednesday! (After a summer of wedding planning last year, I promised Scott we would have "The Summer of Shred"... and I think we're on a good roll. For a husband and wife anyways!)

So Whistler should be all kinds of fun. LOTS of bikes, and beer, and beautiful not-hot weather... friends, food, and fun. I've got a beautiful condo with hot tub rented out, and I'm ready to provide free-flowing margaritas. 

The one thing missing from our Whistler trip? The girl friend to ride with. Oh well. They're a rare species.

1 comment:

  1. I can barely ride a bike, period. Oh wait, I think I rode a bike to school while I was in Chico. Def. the last time I got on a bike.

    You are so badass, there are no words :)

    ReplyDelete