Thursday, July 21, 2011

What was I thinking???

I guess after a couple of years of riding bikes, I'm getting cocky. I can ride just about anything in my town, which is actually a pretty challenging place to ride in the first place. (Terrain = rock & lava rock. Sometimes broken up by rocky terrain. ha) Anyways, I started thinking its time to go clipless.
Clipless pedals are a contraption designed by a man, obviously, because they a)  give one bragging rights that they are "good enough" to go clipless, and b) take away any hope of escape with impeding crash. And they're expensive. So obviously its time for me to get me some! 
This is the animal: 

 The clippy on the bottom of the shoe (which is at the ball of the foot) clips in to the little pedal shown. Looks like this (ignore my finger, which is keeping the shoe up-right):
 And there you have it; you are permanently attached to your mountain bike. So should you find yourself climbing a steep hill, fear not. You can stand up, pull those pedals up, and really show that hill who is boss!!!!!! And should you find yourself careening out of control down hill, into boulders, a lake, or a pit of alligators and snakes... tough shit. Getting out of the clippies is a lot like clicking your heels 3 times and wishing for a fairy godmother. Really, you turn your heels in (like a *click*) and they should snap out. 
So for whatever reason I decided TODAY, all 100 degrees of today, was the right time for the maiden voyage of the clipless pedals. And because it was 100 degrees less than 200 degrees outside, I decided not to wear my hot, sweaty kneepads. I just decided not to go too far into the park, and  have myself a little spin. 
What was I thinking?
Well I can tell you what I'm thinking now. Kneepads are my friends. 


In other news, I love the way my morning glory is growing over our swinging bench (its only taken all summer to get this far), and my girls are funny looking, so I thought I'd add a few pics :)



Bok Bok!


1 comment:

  1. WHAT! I just posted a super long comment and it disappeared!

    i have never heard of clipless pedals before, but it seems like snowboarding where you're just stuck to that thing and wherever it goes, you go. haha.

    your poor knee. i hope it heals fast :( but you are a nurse, so you must have some magical potion to heal it, no?

    loving your swing by the way. i must come and visit and swing with brooke and play with chickens.

    did i mention how glad i am you started blogging?

    ReplyDelete