I got an email the other day (possibly prompted by possibly a slightly impatient sounding one sent the day before by yours truly)...
"Kristen, we have received all the documents needed to process your nursing license. It should be issued in a couple of days"
YESSSSS!!!!
I've been spending a disproportionate amount of time studying everything I can about NZ lately, instead of: cleaning my house, completing my CE's (shit, 3 to go, 3 days to do it), updating my blog... I've been reading others' blogs, books, looking at statistics regarding the quality of living, nursing comparisons, the increased cost of living. I think there's a saying buried in there somewhere... quality is more expensive??
Anyhow, a few interesting/fun tidbits about my future home country:
-The ratio of sheep to humans.... 9:1 (higher than 20:1 on the south island, our future home)!!!
-Buy sunblock! There's a hole in the ozone layer RIGHT over NZ. So fair skinned Norske's like me burn easy; there's a higher rate of skin cancer in NZ.
- It's true! There are no snakes in New Zealand.
-You have accident insurance the second your feet touch NZ soil. Visitor, expat, or citizen, it doesn't matter who you are. Translation: your mental and physical health costs are fully covered in the country of NZ in the event of an accident, and therefore you need not SUE anyone over your misfortune. Actual quote from the book I'm reading: "Are you a personal injury lawyer moving to New Zealand??? ...Find a new profession".
-New Zealand was the first country to give men and women equal suffrage (ie: rights, the right to vote) in 1893. It was also the first country to have its top three positions of power held by women: The Prime Minister, the Governor General, and the Chief Justice.
- The most southern point of New Zealand is the closest land mass to Antarctica.
- New Zealand was forced out of the ANZUS (Australia, New Zealand, United
States) alliance in the 1980s when it outlawed nuclear arms and power.
- The legal drinking age is 18, but alcohol consumption at any age is allowed when parents are at the table.
-In the spirit of tonights opening ceremony: New Zealand has won more Olympic gold medals than any other country, per capita.
-Gay marriage is legal. 'NOUGH SAID!
No comments:
Post a Comment