Friday, July 27, 2012

July Race Report, and more!

I admit, the main title of my blog is misleading these days, as I tend to really only update on NZ related things. That being said, a ridiculous amount of biking has been happening. Unfortunately, I feel now like I'm to a point which is beyond updating... but here are some highlights in the last month of bike races, ridings, and rants.

I took 3rd place at the Hood River Enduro. This was the 3rd of 5 Oregon Enduro Series races. I was really happy with this result, as I've been chronically 4th (Ashland, Bend). This course was particularly technical, with a super scary, loose and steep chute at the end of stage 6. Unfortunately no pictures of this death trap, and I crashed during almost every practice run- but nailed it in my race run! Picture SUPER steep rut, with large boulder to pick up and roll over half way down (thus making second half even scarier), and the whole thing layered with several inches of powdered sugar textured dirt. Ie: no traction. It was awesome!! I finally got to stand on the podium next to some SUPER fast, ripper girls. And I won a Dakine backpack, a cute little hat, and some socks. Sure, why not? There was also a pretty intimidating rock garden to get down in stage 5, at which point a professional photographer got a pretty cool, albeit a bit goofy, picture of me. Due to his publishing rights, and my absolute unwillingness to spend $5 on a picture of myself, click here:

http://www.mikealbright.com/Sports-Cycling/Mountain-Bike-MTB/2012-Hoood-RIver-Enduro/24174721_LnBh66#!i=1970434925&k=LfvQ7Pw&lb=1&s=A

Last weekend I took 1st place at the Shasta Volcano Downhill race at Mt. Shasta, Ca. If nothing else can be said about this place, the views from the chairlift are completely epic. This was my first race of this caliber. Although I've done the Spring Thaw DH race twice now, the ST doesnt require a downhill bike. The Mt. Shasta race was no joke. Chair lift up, 1700 feet of descending, in some super loose, super deep dirt. Kind of like kitty litter mixed with powder, sometimes ankle deep or more. There were also a lot of super cool features- a road gap (husband level only, but super fun to watch), a bunch of wooden ladders, a few huck-to-flat drops, and some interesting rock features. I swear there were a ton of photographers, and yet I only got one picture.
And it's kind of silly. Sunday Ride much?
My competition was just 2 other women. They happened to be signed up in my category (I took the liberty of advancing myself to Cat 1 for this race, as I know not many girls are into DH), making a fully stacked podium of 3. So my goal for the day was to not be last. As it turned out, and this is something I'm actually pretty proud of, I won first by nearly a full minute. For perspective, Scott lost 1st place in Pro category by 1 second- very common. I also beat all of the beginner men, and a few of the other guys. It really wasnt a huge race, but I'll take my moments when they come! :)

Lastly in the world of biking, I'm in the market for a new trusty steed! Thats right... those pink spokes' days are numbered. Before we move to NZ, it is actually a good financial move for us to get a new bike fleet (I know, this sounds like a Christmastime sales pitch). We still get a killer discount on brand new bikes through Scott's shop. So we can sell the ones we have for approximately the cost of brand new bikes. And import costs and shipping costs being what they are, bikes are super duper expensive in NZ. Which means no new bikes for us for the next 2 years. But more importantly, it means we can sell the bikes we bring with us before we come home, and for quite a pretty penny down under. Thus, we will have cash in hand for the latest technology when we get home, and we'll leave some super happy Kiwi's behind with our bikes. (This is all assuming that we come home...) So this morning I test rode an Ibis. It was carbon. It was grey and baby blue. It fit me like a designer dress and rode like a dream. I want it. But I have a few more test rides to do...

Our next bike stops are Mammoth Ca, (Aug. 9-12) just for a weekend of fun with friends, and then possibly the Sisters Oregon Enduro race at the end of the month. Or the Bidwell Bump in Chico. The dates clash with each other, and so does my opinion with Scott's... we'll see who wins!!

A few photos: 

Podium at Mt. Shasta. I was bummed the 3rd girl didnt show up for podium... guess I'll have to try to do it again!

Isn't he cute?

Last tidbit of news on this super over long post -I really should do this more so that these arent so long and monotonous - but I'll get the chance to be better. I'm going to start a new blog (link to follow), for those who are interested in following our adventures in New Zealand. Although I'm sure that posts will continue to be heavily bike/NZ related, I'll also include what life is like there, culture and relationships, and tidbits for the parents. I'll tone down my f@cking language so it's mom-proof (wait, she taught me every decent word I know) and MIL-proof.  This will be our way of keeping in touch with all of our friends and family, besides skype of course, so that 6850 miles wont seem so far away. On that note, lets not tell the moms about that actual number, k?

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on getting to stand on that podium! dang that must have felt so good :) you are one amazing lady, did i ever tell you that? also, looking forward to your new blog!

    ReplyDelete