In non-NZ related news, we traveled to Bend, OR at the beginning of this month
for the first race of the Oregon Enduro Series. There are 5 races in
the series, from Ashland all the way to Hood River. We'll likely do them
all. What is an enduro, one might ask. Well, it's complicated. Even for
the guys running it. An enduro is a 2 day race, that is broken into
stages. In Bend, there were several climbs and decents, a fantastic
ride. The timed stages are during the downhill sections. The super
pedally (ie: I suck at them) climbs are NOT timed. There are, of course,
some uphill sections that end up in the race, but it is primarily
downhill, with plenty of fun technical rocky sections/jumps/etc. to keep
it fun. And the end of 2 days, and anywhere from 3-6ish stages, all of
the times are combined and there is a winner. And there is also a 4th place, which was
me. Unfortunately no pictures again - remember, no one likes taking professional pictures of cat 2 women racers. Aw.
Im not a competitive person when it comes to work or
lifestyle. I certainly dont try to "keep up with the Jones's" as they
say. (Re: my couch, table & chairs, recliner, guest bed, &
actually everything except our bed is a hand-me-down.) But when it comes
to play, or at least racing sport class mountain bikes... I might be a little
competitive. Like, 4th of 6? Are you kidding me? Did you forget to ride
your bike and just stroll the course? Haha.. actually our times were
fairly close to each other, so once again, I was in the mix. ...at the
bottom. My husband got 22nd of 45 racers. But they're pro, and there were some world champion racers... so I dont feel that he is so mediocre like his wife. Ha.
So I've been motivated. Riding up North Rim (see side bar) a couple of times a week. Putting aside the excuses of the heat
which has returned to Chico unwelcome, of having chores to do, folks
being in town, too much wine last night. I've been riding so much that
my bike keeps having little issues, and my mechanic (husband) is ready
for me to throw in the towel.
Since Bend we're been super
busy- work, weddings, my birthday (and a great little jaunt to
Calistoga with two of my bests), and now my folks are in town. This
weekend Scott's parents will be in town to help him weather proof our
garage so that it can be our storage unit while we're in NZ. And then
next weekend is the Ashland Enduro!
Gotta keep training!
No comments:
Post a Comment