Does anyone read this thing? I think I may have one follower over in the Pacific Ocean and thats it. Oh well! Anyways... here's a letter I just sent to close family and friends. And now I'm ready for a drink.
Hey all,
Just thought I would send out a quick New Zealand update!
After about 100 trips to various notaries and federal offices and several exasperated phone calls down under, I finally
sent off my "intent to apply" packet to the NZ Nursing Council (NZNC)
for review. They required all kinds of information including the
application, a report from the FBI and my fingerprints(!), proof that I
passed an English Test (harder than one would think), many letters of
recommendation, and certified copies of just about anything with my name
on it. Oh yes, and way too much money!
But it's done. It felt so good to send that packet off, all items in
it meticulously checked and rechecked off my to-do list. In 8-10
business days the NZNC will contact me acknowledging that they received
my application. At this time, I am to have the board of registered
nursing and CSU Chico send all my license and college transcript
information straight to the council. After they've received those
documents, they estimate it will take 20 business days to process and
approve my NZ nursing license. Unfortunately, in reality I've heard it
takes much longer. I'm hoping to hear the good news that I'm licensed by
the end of July. When this happens, my agency in NZ will begin the job
hunt for me in the cities that I specify to them. Scott and I have
narrowed down a couple, but haven't finalized our choices. We're pretty
positive that we want to live on the south island though (but would
consider Wellington if push came to shove).
After a job has been secured and accepted, I have an immigration
specialist hired to expedite our visas. Since we have the next few
months to gather any documents he may require, this should be smooth.
Immigrating to New Zealand when one has a job offer in a field in need
(ie: healthcare, education, computer sciences) there is pretty much no
way the application will be denied. Our guy told us this step would take
4 weeks tops.
Whew. SO... we could have a move date as early as October.... but
realistically, we're planning on December. On our end of things we need
to prepare the house for renting out and find good renters. This is
terrifying, by the way. We love our house. But we have a good and
trustworthy friend who owns a property management company and will be
looking after it. Thank goodness.
So thats the update! Its unlikely there will be any real news again
until mid-summer... but we're excited! In the meantime, lots of bike
riding and racing! And a little work. Thank you all so much for all of
your support! Even though it's the beginning- I truly feel like the
first step was the hardest!
Hugs to all,
Kristen & Scott
boo. i was really hoping nz would fall through and you would decide hawaii was the route to go :( i miss your face already.
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm still reading. Congrats on another milestone! I'm so excited for you.
ReplyDelete