Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This time last year...

At this time last year I was off work for 17 days. This was day one. Family was arriving into town, phone calls, emails and texts were pouring in every electronic device. My mind and body were buzzing with wedding excitement. I wish I had a blog then; I wish I had a journal or the forethought to write myself a letter. I would love to read it now. But here's what I remember...

I had already had a fantastic bridal shower. At least 40 people crammed into my mom's living room to celebrate my upcoming nuptials.  The funny thing is, there were a lot more friends than family. But I guess that's how my life has worked out. Except for select few, my friends are my family. And I am so thankful to have them. My best friend from nursing school was my maid of honor, and also took on the bridal shower like a champ. We had a French theme, with fun cheeses & wines. Friends from high school came, as well as a few acquired since. Everyone enjoyed one game in particular: Kristen has to answer a question about Scott before she opens a present. If she gets it wrong... she gets a piece of gum. Lets just say by the end I was a downright choking hazard.

My bachelorette party had happened by now too. And it was amazing. We rented a house that I will never forget. It's like my Tahoe Dream House, and if only I were Barbie it could be mine. It was huge, and the best part was the beautiful kitchen & bar overlooking the living room, and opening out onto 2 outdoor decks with BBQ, hot tub, & view. All of my best girlfriends (in driving distance) made it to Tahoe for my bachelorette party. The first night we stayed in, told dirty stories & drank a 5th of tequila, and then some. The second night we went out, done up, 11 girls deep. There was sushi, and then dancing on the tables at sushi. There were body shots, candy eaten off of necks and thighs, boxers stolen from boys, and a few scandalous moments shared between some girls and boys. It was everything a bachelorette party should be, including a hangover. And my husbands' was no different (except he got strippers. What the heck, girls? Couldn't pony up the cash?? Ha.) We didn't compare war stories until we got home. Just like it should be.


The coolest thing about pre-wedding partying was that we each got another bachelor/ette party the Thursday prior to the wedding. All us girls had gotten our nails and toes done together (whatever), and spent Q time together... but then we went out, and I mean out. My mom came out with us girls, and my dad got hammered with the boys. And we all met up at our favorite bar downtown and partied until 2am. And the one mile walk home took, oh, about 2 hours. Everyone in the wedding party (plus a few) came out, made friends, made enemies, and made friends again by the end of that night. I dont know if I've ever laughed so hard, or been so thankful for those in my life.
(Watch this progression here... always a glass of tequila in my hand. And no, its definitely not the same glass...And yes, that's my dad. Double fisting shots of Patron. I come by it honestly, people.)



The rehearsal & rehearsal dinner were all good and fine. ... Actually scratch that. I was a nervous wreck. My aunt who was supposed to coordinate couldn't make the rehearsal time, I was coming down with a cold, and no one would listen to me!!! I felt like the director of a preschool Thanksgiving Play, and the pilgrims and Indians are 5 years old and staring at me like I'm a turkey. Pretty sure that's the dream I had on Wedding Eve...
Do you see them laughing at me?!
I cried (tears of fear joy) at the rehearsal dinner, and I've seen at least 10 pictures from different angles of that absurdly unflattering moment. Thanks guys.

And then it was wedding day. 10 months of planning, overbearing mom emails, flower fretting, dress stress, catering dilemmas, music choices (many ixnay-ed by my husband to be)... 10 months of build up came into a beautiful, perfect, fairy-tale day. Dont get me wrong, I was no princess. I had a head cold, treated with OTC meds and beer. I was so nervous during my hair appointment I kept telling my maid of honor I was going to pass out. I may have still been hungover from Thursday night.
But it was perfect. He looked beautiful. Lots of people, makeup, and planning made me look beautiful. Our venue was amazing. My friends all looked gorgeous. And in all honesty... it was a blur. A blur of memories that I will probably never be able to catalog separately in my brain. All I can do is look at our thousand pictures, and try to remember exactly how I felt at each moment. I actually wish we had a thousand more.
 My venue was so amazing. It literally, could not have been more perfect, and this does it no justice.

 Bike wife pride begins Day 1!!
My beautiful girls.
 And how it's meant to be:
My favorite memory clips though:
Our mountain bike pictures, I love them. How could it have been complete without?

Our cake. It was so cool.

Being announced as husband and wife, we skipped down the hill, Scott twirled me around, and I think I heard a lot of gasps. But I didn't eat shit. It was fun!

Hearing the guitar play "Here comes the sun" and seeing his smile.

And this part:
Happy anniversary (a few days early here) to my wonderful husband. You're not perfect, but you're perfect for me.

1 comment:

  1. pretty much in love with this entire post. what would have made it absolutely perfect if i were in there :) haha just kidding. happy anniversary you lovebirds. i love the both of you!

    ReplyDelete