Sunday, August 19, 2012

The First Interview!

I had my first interview today at 3pm (or 10am Monday morning in NZ). This is how I envisioned my day leading up to my interview:

Sleep in, make a healthy breakfast, sit down and study Maori culture, socialized healthcare, and current NZ nursing regulations. Have a healthy lunch. Go for a short bike ride to clear my head. Shower, dress semi-professionally to put my brain in the right place (ie: caring about WORK on my day OFF!). Study  up a bit more, and have my interview. Oh, and I planned to "study" yesterday too.

This is how it went:

Sleep in a lot... much needed though I admit. Made healthy breakfast, black bean & egg breakfast burrito with tomatoes from our yard. Get on the internet. Facebook. Blogs. Pinterest. Bank website. Strava. Friend calls. Sure lets go ride bikes, it will put me at ease. Ride = 100 degrees of HELL, dizziness and dehydration ensue so I unceremoniously flop myself in the creek fully clothed. After 15 minutes of laying in the creek cursing Chico, I head home. Its 2pm. Huh. That took forever. Fast and furious studying happens. Lunch doesn't happen. Oh, and yesterday, studying so did not happen. I cleaned the house floor to ceiling, because really no phone interview can happen with a dirty house. (If anyone has issues following my sarcasm, I apologize. But I probably wont stop).

So they called at 1501, Im sweaty and covered in creek water, lamped out in my chair practically panting from the heat, and furiously skimming the job requirements.

In all though, I felt like it went really well. I actually got asked a question regarding the Maoris and the Treaty of Waitangi, the answer to which I had read 5 minutes prior to my interview. See, preparation pays off. Ha.

This interview was for an Emergency Dept position and a Short Stay Unit position in Wellington Hospital. Although these are my desired areas, Welly isn't our desired location. So currently I'm going to consider this a practice interview, and cross my fingers that the 3 jobs I applied for in Nelson produce an interview/employment.

From here? Relax a little. Race some bikes again this weekend. Get the hell out of the 100+ weather and smoke!

No comments:

Post a Comment