I cant believe it's here already. This weekend marks the end of bike season. Bike season, you may ask, is what? Yes, its a season, where more than any other time of the year, I have tire tracks on my wood floor, dirt clods everywhere, race plate ties in the dryer, discarded bike parts strewn throughout the house (literally), worried emails from my dad about protection (and we're not talkin' condoms people. Don't think the parents support those anymore. Ha), and a husband who is frequently missing in action- racing, practicing, or drinking beers with the guys talking about racing and practicing.
Its a good season though really, I like it. It lasts from May-October, so its a long season. It rains, it's hot, but mostly, its awesome. I have a happy hubby, a fridge always full of beer (the celebratory beverage of bike season), and excitement surrounding nearly every weekend. But good things must come to a close each year, and there's some plus sides to it. No driving 6+ hours each way every weekend. No living out of a duffel bag all week because I'm too lazy to unpack. A guy sleeping next to me all winter keeping me warm.
But there's one last race. Weaverville. We leave tomorrow, and I'm stoked. It's only a 2.5 hour drive (yes!), there's beautiful camping (so no hotel, double yes!), and its a mellow laid back race. Ie: I'm gonna do it. I've only driven the shuttle for the guys at this spot before, and even that was years ago. So this should be fun! It will be my 3rd race of the year!
Third??? Yes! I did a race 2 weekends ago in Arcata at a place called Tish Tang. Which I think is an awesome name. Anyway. It was supposed to be a mellow "you'll be one of 3 girls, maybe" kind of race. But then Humboldt State tacked this race on to their collegiate schedule and it became pretty big. Because the organizers were expecting 50 riders, and ended up with 150+, it was extremely disorganized. Slightly convinced I could have done better myself, with a team of monkeys, who were deaf and blind. They insisted that all riders (150+) all shuttle up to the top of the mountain at the same time. (Usually you have a start time assigned to you, make your way up the mountain as you please, and if you dont show up on time, you're SOL). But no. We had to all gather around like a bunch of kindergarteners at recess. And being a girl, who was not collegiate, I went basically dead last.
I sat on the top of that hill for 2 hours, by myself (fast go first, slow last), waiting to race. It was horrible. I was hungry. And nervous. And alone. And thirsty, and still nervous. Everyone else up there had their collegiate team to talk to. There weren't any other solo girls. So I sat, indian style, on the ground for 2 hours contemplating why I put myself in this position, when I could be 3 beers deep by now, celebrating my husband's surely successful race. Are we getting the picture? Real pathetic. Haha, anyway...
After 125 people went, it was down to the last bunch, ie: time for me to race. And then the girl in hot pink happened. This girl, we'll call her Sara (Such.A.Ridiculous.Asshole), came up to me moments prior to the race. They had messed up her place in the order of things, so they put her after me. And typically, they put a minute between riders so that no-one will pass the person prior. DH races are won by seconds. Passing rarely happens, unless there's a crash.
Anyways, being from Slo-Cal, Sara is obviously faster, & way cooler than little 'ol me from little 'ol Chico. Hicktown people, sooooo slow, obvvvvvvviously. And Sara's pissed about being put behind me, because what if she has to pass me? That might slow her down. So the race promoters put a THREE MINUTE interval between us after she threw a fit. ITS A 6 MINUTE COURSE. So Sara comes up to me just before I'm about to take off and says (I kid you not), "Look, when you hear me coming up behind you, you need to get out of the way as fast as you can, ok? I need room to pass you, ok? Do you get it?"
Really? Are you serious? Girl, do you think I have a 3 minute lead so I can hike this course? What I get is that Sara just gave me the motivation I needed to go as fast as possible. Not because there's any WAY that I'm slow enough that she could catch me with a 3 minute lead. But I need to beat this girl. When you hear me coming? Really???
So I pinned it, as fast as my little legs wound carry me. It wasn't my best performance, I have trouble with pedal-y sections, need more fitness. But my skills were on-par, and I felt that I had a fast, clean run. I hit a nice little jump and got some decent air that drew cheers from the crowd (I dont think most girls jump much?) so that was my proudest moment.
That and NOT getting passed by Sara. In the end she DID beat me (damn it). But only by 23 seconds. So she never would have passed me, even with the normal minute interval, not even close. I won my class, and was 4th of 15 girls overall. (She was 3rd). Beat a handful of guys too. It's amazing, regardless, of what a little motivation can do.
So here's my one little picture from the race. Nothing too exciting, but it's still fun to have the professional guys take your picture. Compare me to the following, Scott's picture. I definitely have some more skills to work on. If I was as good as him, I could quit my job and be famous and travel the world mountain biking. Now that should be my motivation.


No comments:
Post a Comment